Monday, January 21, 2008

Is it Irony?

This blog is an attempt to explore what is meant by the term irony, how it is used by the public, what it was supposed to mean, and how we can reclaim this word from nothingness. I tend towards being a strict ironist , but I think my definition may have to expand after examining all of the different cases.

Why am I creating a blog about what irony means? Every day someone will come up to me and ask if something is ironic, and 90% of the time, it isn't. Initial posts will deal with irony in the news, since proper word use seems something that should be understood by professional writers. We will also discuss various kinds of irony, Socratic irony, O. Henry style irony, etc.

I'll also be reviewing Steven Pinker (The Stuff of Thought) and using his thesis to explain how we can use irony to peer into the human soul and explore how the way we use language sheds light on the human condition.

If you come across a news article, tv show, movie, song, book, anything that uses the term irony, and you want to know if it is accurate, let me know, and I'll post about it.

No comments: